Zygopetalum orchids are easy to grow, the blooms have unusual colour and release strong sweet scent.
Zygopetalum maculatum orchids:
- Synonyms: Z. intermedium, Z mackayi, Z rivieri, Z. velutinum.
- Native to Brazil, Peru, Bolivia.
- Strong fragrance.
- Easy growing.
- Frost free area.
- Ideal temperatures: 28 deg C – 10 deg. C. Tolerate higher and lower temperature for short period of time.
- Bright shaded area with no direct sunlight.
- Need moisture all year around.
- Half strength balance liquid fertilizer alternately.
- Free draining orchid mix.
- Good air circulation to avoid leaf spotting.
- Vigorous growing.
- Big slightly shallow pots.
- Propagating by division.
August 27, 2014:
The Zygopetalum flowers have started to wilt and few have fallen off. When I bought this orchid, it was already blooming. The flowers last around 2 to 3 months :). Will surely miss the lovely fragrance.